Questions sent to the Marja’s.
Question 1. Is the consumption of cannabis and its derivatives permitted?
Question 2. If cannabis and its derivatives are consumed for treatment of diseases, what is the judgement? Question 3. Is the cultivation of cannabis for the purpose of production of legal medical and pharmacological products permitted?
Question 4. Is cultivation and production of cannabis for export permitted?
Question 5. Some people believe that hashish is najes (impure). Is hashish impure? If yes, why?
Question 6. If cannabis and its derivatives (e.g. hashish, marijuana, etc.) are used for medical consumption, what should the Muslim do in the month of Ramadan? Can he use it while he is fasting?
Question 7. If the person has used cannabis and its derivatives (ha shish, marijuana, etc.) is his prayer valid?
AYATOLLAH (MARJA’-E TAQLID) RESPOSES TO QUESTIONS
Naser Makarem Shirazi (he responded discursively):
‘Firstly, eating cannabis, for as much as we know, in small quantities does not produce intoxication, but if cannabis or its derivatives produced intoxication (even small intoxication), its use is haram (sin). Secondly, its cultivation for consumption is not allowed and must be countered. But in quantities necessary for pharmaceutical reasons under strong supervision, it is not prohibited. Its export too for this purposes is forbidden.Third, as Khomeini said, hashish is not impure.’
Asadollah Bayat Zanjani 1. If it doesn’t have significant effects or side-effects, there is no problem
- On the question’s hypothesis, there is no problem.
- If it is programmed and can be controlled and is not abused there is no prohibition.
- If it is for valid and reasonable objectives, it is not a problem.
- It’s not impure unless dissolved in a drink.
- If it is eaten or drank, it has the same regulation as the other edible things.
- If during the prayer you are intoxicated (khomar) and do not understand what are you saying, then the prayer is not valid.
- If it is exclusively for advertising cannabis use, then it is not allowed.
Musà Shobeyri Zanjani 1, 2, 4. If it has a fundamental harm for the body or if it causes corruption to society, it is not allowed. Otherwise, if there is a law on this issue,…, it must be respected. Its export too if it is intended for illegal consumption is not allowed.
- Based on the question’s hypothesis, it is not forbidden.
- It’s pure.
- If it is a booster/regenerator, then it is not allowed. If it is a powerful pleasure inducing one, based on caution, it is not allowed.
- It’s valid.
- It depends whether what they advertise is legal or illegal use.
- It varies depending on type of the drug, way of consumption and use. If it is useful for the human, and it is not narcotic, there is no issue.
- If it is not illegal use then it is not an issue.
- Cultivation of cannabis for legal use poses no issue, but if there is potential illegal use and application, it is necessary to be with the supervision of the state.
- In general, the cultivation, production, sale of cannabis and its similar, which have a legal and illegal use, has no issue for the purpose of legal use. However, if there is a chance of abuse, its use must take place with the supervision of the state and if there is a law in relation to this, it must be respected.
- Hashish is not impure.
- It does not harm its prayer.
Mohammad ‘Alavi Gorgani 1. Cannabis consumption is accepted but its derivatives, if harmful or confusing the mind, are haram.
- Has no issue, as long as necessary.
- Has no issue.
- Has no issue.
- It’s not impure.
- If it’s smoked, it breaks the fasting of Ramadan.
- It’s valid.
- It’s against the law and in many cases it’s haram.
Hossein Mazaheri Esfehani 1, 2, 3, 4. The use of hashish and its production is not permitted.
- Cannabis is not impure.
- If a Muslim uses hashish during Ramadan, that breaks fasting.
- If the Muslim is conscious while on cannabis the prayer is valid. But if he is intoxicated the prayer is invalid.
- It’s not valid.
- Cannabis itself is allowed. Its derivatives are not. If you obtain a composition of hashish, then it is not allowed, as
in the case of grapes and wine.
- It is haram and sinful.
- Its cultivation for the production of hashish is not allowed under any condition.
- It’s not allowed.
- It is not impure.
- It is with no doubt haram and it’s necessary to give up for Ramadan.
- It is a big sin like drinking wine or incest, but his prayer is valid if he/she is not intoxicated.
- Advertising prohibited products is not allowed and is sinful.
- Cannabis use in itself in not haram. Its derivatives are different, if they are intoxicant/inebriant (musakkar) or are harmful for sure, then they are haram.
- If it’s among the forbidden one then it’s not permitted, unless in the time of necessity and urgency and in the measure necessary to solve the urgency.
- Yes, it is allowed.
- Yes, it’s allowed.
- It’s not impure.
- For the sick for whom not using it is harmful, then it is not forbidden to use it.
- It is valid but if its derivate is haram, he/she should repent.
- Advertising its legal use is not forbidden.